Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Down...But Not Out


So, I've been out of commission for about a week. Allow me to explain-

Last Tuesday (11/17), I had a routine check-in with the doc. They examined my cervix and lo-and-behold, that sucker had shrunken down to 1.4cm and was 1 cm dilated.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

The lovely contraction monitor showed I was booming them out every 5 or so minutes and I had no.effing.clue.

So I was hospitalized. 7 days, 6 nights, 3 IV bags of fluids, numerous crying jags, and one horrible sleepover for B later and I was released. Yesterday, Day 7, they checked my cervix again. No change. And since they weren't giving me meds and I was able to start identifying my own contractions I was paroled.

So, here I am. 29 weeks, 1 day pregnant and at home on bed rest again. And I am scared sh*tless. While they weren't doing much for me at the hospital (no meds, monitoring was down to once a day) that I couldn't do at home, there was a lot of security in having medical staff present. I've been given a prescription for contractions as needed, up to every 4-6 hours. And as much as I like being home with B and as little as they were doing for me, I can't help but wonder if I made a mistake coming home.

I wish I could give more details. And eventually, I might. But this whole shrinking cervix, crazy contractions, and strict bedrest has left me a little listless. So, here's a 29 week update for you. Eventually, when I do my hair and put on makeup I'll take a picture.

How far along? 29 weeks, 1 day
Total weight gain/loss: I actually don't know. I was up 37 pounds last Tuesday morning (lost 2 pounds in 1 day) and haven't weighed in since
Maternity clothes? Dur
Stretch marks? Still none. I got lots of compliments from the nursing staff.
Sleep: Muh. I had my first Ambien in el hospitolio and it is magical.
Movement: A lot! I'm getting beat up from the inside a little bit.

Food cravings: Anything that is not hospital food. I started to turn into a chicken quesadilla there since it was the only thing that wasn't gross.
Gender: A boy and a girl
Labor Signs: Yep. I love that last week I said none and I was having tons of contractions. I'm down to about 1-3 contractions an hour and the docs say that's good. I'm trying not to obsess about my cervix.
What I miss: Feeling confident about this pregnancy. It's hard to enjoy being pregnant when you're a big ball of freak and every pang must mean imminent disaster.
What I am looking forward to: Getting to Monday and 30 weeks. Having my parents get into town tomorrow for Thanksgiving. Going to my next doctor's appointment in a week.
Milestones: Learning what it's like to be in the hospital. And being in my last twenty-something week. Thirty feels like a big milestone.

1 comment:

  1. God. I hope the next few weeks are as boring as possible for you. How frightening! Here's to lots of good magazines/books/TV/Internet to keep you occupied. And kids? Simmer down and stay put just a little while longer!

    Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete